Sunday, July 11, 2010

Две недели в Москве ...

Just returned from a two week business trip to Moscow. Although it's tough being gone from the family that long, the trip was a success and we did have time to see some sites. The weather was unusually warm -- particularly for Moscow -- and the food was terrific. We ate everything from Russian, Georgian, Uzbek, Azerbaijani, Italian, Japanese ... you name it, but I mostly stuck with the Russian food. I was a big fan of the Russian Okroshka (cold yogurt soup), which is similiar to Bulgarian Tarator, Borsch, Morse, Vareniki, Shashlik, etc. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.


Metro station in Moscow. Stalin in particular constructed some pretty elaborate metro stations. Many of them are done in marble with ornate columns, ceilings, chandeliers, statutes of the proletariat, etc.

St. Basil's Cathedral at night (Red Square)



Red Square at night. Gum shopping center to the left. St. Basil's in the middle. The Kremlin on the far right.




St. Basil's during the day.




Sergev Posad. A monestary town north of Moscow. It was formerly the headquarters of the Russian Orthodox Church.


1 comment:

Ned and Linda said...

I've seen some of these same buildings through pictures from Ray and Alexandra and they are so beautiful! Glad you got to do more than just sit in a business meeting.